- Distance: 10.5km (10.6km if you measure from the parking lot and back)
- Difficulty: 3/5, Moderately to hard at times, relatively flat at only 465m Ascent, with the odd steep climb at the start and finish
- Gear: Day pack, with minimum 2l water and snacks to eat halfway, a walking stick does make the rocky sections easier to navigate through. Trail running shoes should be adequate, but a boot is advisable.
We decide to start at 7:30, to avoid the heat of the day, and it ended up being a great plan, it ended up being a scorcher, peaking at around 35 degrees with approximately 2km’s to go.
One thing that caught my eye, was the marking of the route. Probably the best marked route I have hiked on, with visible yellow painted shoe prints, and distance marker every kilometre, making it very easy to navigate and allowing one to actually look around for animals in the reserve.
Honestly, I can’t find fault with this trail.
To download a FREE .gpx file of the route REGISTER here.
- Groenkloof-Nature-Reserve page
- Groenkloof Nature Reserve
335/M7 Eeufees Rd
Pretoria, Gauteng 0027 South Africa
- R40 entrance fee for hikers/day visitor (Entrance fee correct when posted, 06.03.18)